A look at current events from the point of a view of a Conservative Evangelical Christian who stands firmly on the Word of God (that's the Bible for those of you at Berkley) and stands behind the Constitution of the United States of America. So grab yourself a big cup of java, kick back in your chair and enjoy another member of the "vast right wing conspiracy" making his voice heard.

Friday, December 21, 2007

2007 Bowl-a-rama

It’s that time of the year again where the artist formally known as Division I-A, now known as the NCAA FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) enters into a fun filled 3 weeks of college bowl games. On tap this year is another 32 games for the hard core college football fan, or a lot of naps for those of us who feel there are way too many bowl games for our own good. And for those of you keeping score at home this means this means 64 of the 119 FBS schools will be in a post season game…somebody shoot me, please!

For your convenience and bowl game viewing enjoyment, I will now go through with my own expert prognostications and let you know my own opinion on each game and each team. And as always you can expect this to be very politically incorrect, very sarcastic and very opinionated. If I hurt your feelings by picking on your favorite team (or home state), just try some of that “enhanced” eggnog and read it again later…I promise, it’ll be funny then!

Now with that said…

Poinsettia Bowl, December 20 at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, CA.
Oh, how I miss the good old days when a bowl game was something to strive for and put the best of the best going head to head…unfortunately here we have Utah vs. Navy. The 8-4 fighting Utes of Utah from the defenseless Mountain West Conference play host to the Navy Midshipmen, also with a record of 8-4 on the season. Navy won this game 2 years ago but Utah is picked as the favorite in this year’s match up. As for me, I’m going to be throwing my support behind Navy because I’M A PROUD AMERICAN! And to not pull for Navy is…well, UNAMERICAN! Besides, Navy was one of the many who put a whooping on Notre Dame this year, and that always makes me smile! And will someone tell me why the Mountain West Conference has 5 teams in bowl games!?!?!
MY PICK: Navy

New Orleans Bowl, December 21 at the Superdome in New Orleans, LA
Florida Atlantic and Memphis face off in the Big Easy with matching 7-5 records…and I have no idea what the purpose of this game is. I love New Orleans, but isn’t the Sugar Bowl and the BCS title game enough? Does anyone even know what the mascot for FAU is!?!?! NO, of course not! The only thing this game has going for it is the legend of Howard Schnellenberger. I guess this may be turn out to be the third best bowl game in New Orleans this year (There are only 3 bowls in New Orleans for any Berkley students that may not get that)…but possibly the worst of the season.
MY PICK: It’s the Friday before Christmas…go shopping!

Papa John’s Bowl, December 22 at Legion Field in Birmingham, AL
This is like the 4th bowl game in the history of Legion Field and it must really tick off Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville, KY that they didn’t get this one! The always dangerous Southern Miss Golden Eagles with new head coach Larry Fedora head up I-59 to take on former C-USA foe Cincinnati. The Gold Birds are 7-5 and the Bearcats come out of the Big East with a 9-3 record. While I think this game will be watchable for me due to living in Hattiesburg while in college at William Carey University, and also having a wife from Cincinnati…I can’t guarantee anyone else will enjoy it. In the end, I think the Cats may be too much for the Eagles.
MY PICK: Cincinnati by 10

New Mexico Bowl, University Stadium in Albuquerque, NM
Nevada brings a 6-6 record to what amounts to a home game for the 8-4 New Mexico Lobos. Is this a joke?
MY PICK: I’m praying my in-laws have arrived so I have an excuse not to watch this!!!

Las Vegas Bowl, at Sam Boyd Stadium in…wait for it: Las Vegas
A rematch from September 8 when the formally 13th ranked UCLA Bruins beat then unranked BYU Cougars 27-17 in LA. I’m curious though, what are they smoking in Las Vegas to invite a bunch of Mormons to the gambling capital of the world???? Do they really expect to make money on this? The Bruins are 6-6 and the followers of Joe Smith are 10-2, ranked 19th and are a 5.5 point favorite.
MY PICK: Since I hate LA and I like Mitt Romney, the Mormons by 2 TD’s.

Hawaii Bowl, December 23 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, HI
The game traditionally played on Christmas day and traditionally hosted by the University of Hawaii has lost its place on the calendar and its home team. This year Boise State (10-2) heads south and represents the WAC thanks to their loss to Hawaii and will play host to East Carolina (7-5), one of 6 teams from C-USA in bowl games (yes, I said 6 from the mid-major of mid-majors). The boys in blue from the blue turf have a high powered offense as always and East Carolina…well, isn’t actually a state; I mean I know where North and South Carolina is, but I have yet to find East Carolina on a map. Oh, they’re Pirates…they’re from the ocean!
MY PICK: Boise State easily

Motor City Bowl, December 26 at Ford Field in Detroit, MI
Central Michigan (8-5) gets what amounts to a home game against their neighbors from the south, Purdue (7-5) out of the Big 10. This is a tough one because CMU is a mid-major (one of 3 in bowl games from the Mid-American conference…I think I need some Tylenol just thinking about that) and has already lost to Purdue this season. Also keep in mind that Purdue has a weak 3-5 conference record in one of the weakest Big 10 conferences in a long time.
MY PICK: It’s the day after Christmas and bowl games should be played in the south…I choose the leftovers from Christmas dinner.

Holiday Bowl, December 27 at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, CA
Arizona State and their nomad coach Dennis Erickson (this is his 6th NCAA head coaching gig, also had 2 NFL head coaching gigs) go west into San Diego with a 10-2 record to face the 9-3 Texas Longhorns who began the season expecting to play on New Years day. At least there is no mid-major in this game…but then again, I’m not sure the Big 12 isn’t a mid-major most years. Both teams are ranked though and each had BCS aspirations, so this may be worthwhile match up.
MY PICK: Hook ‘em Horns, Texas by 3.

That’ll take care of this first round, be on the lookout for the next 8 coming soon.

No comments: