A look at current events from the point of a view of a Conservative Evangelical Christian who stands firmly on the Word of God (that's the Bible for those of you at Berkley) and stands behind the Constitution of the United States of America. So grab yourself a big cup of java, kick back in your chair and enjoy another member of the "vast right wing conspiracy" making his voice heard.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bowl Predictions Part 1

Tonight begins that magical few weeks of winter that we call “Bowl Season”! Yes, the elite of college football end their month long break to face off against usually non-traditional competition to bring home that coveted bowl trophy. Tonight with the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego, the 32 bowl games begin!

Wait a minute? Poinsettia Bowl? 32 bowl games? OK, there is seriously something wrong that picture. But I’ll go ahead and make my predictions.

For those of you who are used of me saying something uplifting and inspirational…forget about seeing that here. You will find that I have a great appreciation for college football as well as sarcasm. I don’t mean to offend, but if it happens…all is fair in love and football!

So, here is part 1 of my college bowl predictions.

* Poinsettia Bowl at San Diego, Dec 19: Northern Illinois (7-5) vs. TCU (10-2).
25th ranked Horn Frogs of TCU take on…Northern Illinois? HUH? OK, when the 3rd best team in the Western division of the Mid-American Conference gets a bowl game, we may have too many! Not to mention this is a second game in San Diego which has a hard enough time pulling in fans for a winning Charges game. Hey, maybe then can open the border and offer tickets to whoever crosses legally!
My pick: TCU, they have a defense, and they are playing Northern Illinois

* Las Vegas Bowl at Las Vegas (DUH!), Dec. 21: BYU (10-2) vs. Oregon (7-5).
Shouldn’t this be in San Diego in the Holiday Bowl???? BYU which traditionally has a strong passing game that matches their belief in the prophet Joseph Smith will be taking on the fashionistas of the PAC 10, Oregon. The Ducks are in a better conference but they tend to get their tails handed to them by decent teams. I’m not sure if BYU’s defense will be able to keep the Ducks from scoring, but I’m pretty sure the Ducks won’t stop the Mormon boy’s air game.
My Pick: BYU, bless be the prophet, lol!

* New Orleans Bowl at New Orleans (for real this year!), Dec. 22: Rice (7-5) vs. Troy (7-5).
Rice is making its first bowl appearance since before the Bill of Rights was written, and Troy…wasn’t he a guy I went to high school with? Once again, more proof of too many bowl games. Rice was tied for 3rd in C-USA and Troy won that all so tough Sun Belt conference.
My Pick: Who cares! Troy, at least they won their pathetic conference!

* New Mexico Bowl at Albuquerque, NM, Dec. 23: New Mexico (6-6) vs. San Jose St (8-4).
OK, so New Mexico is .500 and “hosting” a bowl game is probably the only chance they have of being in one going against the team that finished tied for 3rd in the WAC. Please shoot me?
My Pick: Hey, a new “Justice” is on…you gotta love Ron Trott!

* Papa Johns Bowl at Birmingham, AL, Dec. 23: South Florida (8-4) vs. East Carolina (7-5)
I guess this means Louisville has lost more hope of hosting another bowl game. And I can find North and South Carolina on my map…but I can’t find East Carolina. And as for South Florida…no habla Espanol!
My Pick: Domino’s Pizza, I bet they will make tons of sales during this one!

* Armed Forces Bowl at Ft Worth, TX, Dec. 23: Tulsa (8-4) vs. Utah (7-5)
The game now formally known as the Ft Worth Bowl (where did they get such a catchy name!) is now being played in honor of the men in and women in our Armed Forces. Too bad they couldn’t draw anything better than the 3rd place team in the C-USA and 3rd in the Mountain West.
My Pick: Utah, because my 5 year old said so.

* Hawaii Bowl at Honolulu, HI, Dec. 24: Hawaii (10-3) vs. Arizona St (7-5)
Didn’t this used to be called the Aloha Bowl and played on Christmas Day? I guess calling it the “Hawaii” Bowl guarantees the Rainbow Warriors getting a bowl bid…kind of like the reason we have the Fiesta Bowl so that Arizona St. can get a bowl game! Wait, why are the Sun Devils in Hawaii then????
My Pick: Home field advantage…Hawaii

* Motor City Bowl at Detroit, Dec. 26: Middle Tennessee (7-5) vs. Central Michigan (9-4).
The day after Christmas…I’m going to ignore this game, like everyone else, and play with the toys my kids got at Christmas.
My Pick: Anything else.

Well, that is part 1, only 3 more to go! Woo Hoo! I love me some college football!

No comments: