A look at current events from the point of a view of a Conservative Evangelical Christian who stands firmly on the Word of God (that's the Bible for those of you at Berkley) and stands behind the Constitution of the United States of America. So grab yourself a big cup of java, kick back in your chair and enjoy another member of the "vast right wing conspiracy" making his voice heard.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Bowl Predictions Part 2, The Sequel

Alright, as this goes to post it would appear that I went 8-0 in the first round…here is a quick recap.
* Poinsettia: I picked TCU, they won 37-7…enjoy your fruitcake boys.
* Las Vegas: I picked BYU; they won 38-8 and then quickly make a trek out of the Den of Sin back to Provo in time to hear the Tabernacle Choir sing.
* New Orleans: I picked Troy; they won 41-17 and then had to tell everyone that they are not USC’s JV squad.
* New Mexico: I picked “Justice”, San Jose State did win as I expected and I still think Ron Trott is great!
* Papa Johns: I picked Domino’s to make a lot of pizzas and although I haven’t seen the sales totals, I have no doubt that they did…this is a “gimme” and South Florida won the game for those keeping score at home.
* Armed Forces: My 5 year old said Utah, and the kid is a natural! The Utes won 25-14.
* Hawaii: I picked Hawaii and the home field helped, 41-24.
* Motor City: I got the DVD player in the van and Central Michigan won the game for what it is worth, so I’ll call that a win!

Now let’s move on to my 2nd set of picks.

* Emerald Bowl at San Francisco, Dec. 27: Florida State (6-6) vs. UCLA (7-5)
Bobby Bowden and his boys are having one of the worst seasons EVER and have to travel to the land of fruit and nuts to face the Bruins who pulled out the upset of USC to keep them out of the BCS title game.
My Pick: I like FSU, but have respect for UCLA this time for beating USC… but I’ll have to go with the Noles in a close one though.

* Independence Bowl at Shreveport, Dec. 28: Oklahoma State (6-6) vs. Alabama (6-6)
My secretary is an OSU fan and Bama’s alumni boosters are trying to ruin that great football heritage in the name of Bear Bryant.
My Pick: In honor of Mrs. Maggie…Go Cowboys! OSU for the win.

* Holiday Bowl at San Diego, Dec 28: Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3)
Hmm…this is a tough one. A bit of a home field advantage for the Bears, but the Aggies are a pretty good bowl team and I still remember them destroying BYU in the Holiday Bowl back in the 90’s. This is another tough call but…
My Pick: A&M.

* Texas Bowl at Houston, Dec. 28: Rutgers (10-2) vs. Kansas State (7-5)
The Cinderella of the Big East, Rutgers against the once powerful K-State out of the Big 12 playing in ANOTHER renamed bowl game; formally known as the “Houston Bowl”. Wow, such unique names, huh? And why are there 3 bowl games on this day? It’s a Thursday for Pete’s sake!
My Pick: I’ll say Rutgers, although I do think their clock is about to strike midnight.

* Music City Bowl, Dec. 29 at Nashville (DUH!): Clemson (8-4) vs. Kentucky (7-5)
The new Bowden of college football is taking his Tigers into Nashville to play a surprising UK team that actually finished above .500. Although I think the Cats can pull an upset in what is almost a home game for them, I’ll go with the boys from the ACC in this one.
My Pick: Clemson

* Sun Bowl at El Paso, Dec. 29: Oregon State (9-4) vs. Missouri (8-4)
A team that finished in the middle of the Pac 10 is facing a team that finished in the middle of the Big 12…zzzzz. Sorry, did I fall asleep? If I watch this game, I might. This game is on at 2:00 in the afternoon on the Friday my in-laws arrive.
My Pick: My kids…Mamaw and Papaw are here!

* Liberty Bowl at Memphis, Dec. 29: South Carolina (7-5) vs. Houston (10-3)
The Old Ball Coach is coming out of the SEC to take on the Cougars fresh off of winning the Conference USA. How come a match-up of the 8th place team in the SEC and the winner of a Conference USA is considered to be “Even”…and it really is? Pretty sad.
My Pick: A lot of game still left in the Old Ball Coach, the Gamecocks will be walking in Memphis.

* Insight Bowl at Phoenix, Dec. 29: Texas Tech (7-5) vs. Minnesota (6-6).
Game #4 of the 5 scheduled for this day has the Red Raiders out of the Big 12 facing the .500 Golden Gophers of the Big 10 in another WHO CARES match up. Folks, we really have too many bowl games…
My Pick: Dinner at Amigo Juan’s in Hope!

* Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando, Dec. 29: Purdue (8-5) vs. Maryland (8-4)
The last of the Friday night games has the Boilermakers who finished 5th in the Big 10 going head to head against the Terps who finished 6th in the ACC. You know, about 10 years ago both of these teams would have been sitting at home in December with those records drinking the last of the eggnog and eating leftover ham.
My Pick: Heads for Purdue, Tails for Maryland…it landed on heads, so I guess I’ll say Purdue.

Next up…all of the games heading up to the BCS match ups. Enjoy!

No comments: