A look at current events from the point of a view of a Conservative Evangelical Christian who stands firmly on the Word of God (that's the Bible for those of you at Berkley) and stands behind the Constitution of the United States of America. So grab yourself a big cup of java, kick back in your chair and enjoy another member of the "vast right wing conspiracy" making his voice heard.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Is this what we want in a First Lady?



I'm 36 years old, just days short of my 37th birthday...and i have seen a lot in my country to be proud of. The 1980 US hockey "Miracle on Ice" followed by the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles; the fall of the Berlin Wall and our troops returning home after the first Gulf War; our Senators and Representatives standing united for once on the steps of the Capital singing "God Bless America" after our country was attacked on 9/11...for starters. If given a chance i can think of many other times i have been proud to be an American, especially in the last 18 years of my adult life. Apparently that is not so for Michelle Obama.

The 44 year old wife of Presidential hopeful Barack Hussein Obama apparently has not found much to be proud of in her country in the last 26 or so years...going back to around 1982. In fact, while stumping for her husband in Milwaukee the hopeful First Lady said, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country..." Really? Wow...she has only been ashamed of her country for the vast majority of her life? And this is the woman who wants to reside in America's house?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are points on the continuum between "really proud" and shame--it's not a toggle switch.

Cordially yours,

Doc Washboard

boBByd said...

I'll just leave you to defend the indefensible...but this is a common liberal mindset to blame America first, think the worst of America and even go as far as hating this great country.

Anonymous said...

What you write makes no sense. How is what she said "indefensible?" How is she blaming America? How is she "hating this great country?"

Clarification would be appreciated.

boBByd said...

Actually, if you choose to actually read what i write...you would see that it makes a lot more sense than your stance of simply attacking something as being senseless when you disagree. Liberals have a bad habit of passing the buck of blame onto others...with the exception of the US; it is much easier for them to blame the US for all the ills of the world.
And i don't recall saying she said she hated this GREAT country or blamed America, but she is in the party that tends to lean in that direction and to say that she has not been proud of America during her adult life does fall into that same catgeory IMHO.

boBByd said...

"The name of American, which belongs to you... must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism." George Washington

C-C-G said...

Oh, looky, it's Doc Washboard.

Revbeaux, Doc is a well known troll. I suspect, but cannot prove, that he is also known by the names nunaim, novanom, and probably several others... he likes sock puppets.

nunaim is famous on the Confederate Yankee blog for arguing over the size of a door clearly meant for humans.

In short, he exists only to argue, and you will never convince him that the sky is blue or any other self-evident fact. I recommend not wasting the time or bandwidth on him.

boBByd said...

Doc, Doc, Doc...the Washington quote i thought was a great line worthy of posting here since after all it is my blog.
As for feeling national pride for a hockey game...why not? Should we not feel national pride when the best our great country has to offer does the best they can and prove to be victorious?

The point is Michelle Obama said she has not been proud of this country until now...plain and simple. You can try to explain it and her husband will also, but it was said. The sad irony is if an conservative would have said something similar it would have not only been on every major news outlet without end, but would become a campaign slogan for the left.

When it is all said and done, i'm proud of my country and my pride has been often and frequent during not only my adult life but also during my youth; i'm not so sure many on the left can or would say that.

Anonymous said...

"i'm proud of my country and my pride has been often and frequent during not only my adult life but also during my youth; i'm not so sure many on the left can or would say that."

You're probably right. Again, however, in your mind there only seems to be two settings: "proud" and "ashamed." My brain has more setting on the prideometer than that. For example, if my child does a fantastic job in the school play, I'm definitely proud of her. If, on the other hand, she gets a lousy grade in math, I'm not proud. But that doesn't mean that I'm ashamed of her. I'm somewhere in between.

I'm not ashamed of a US win in the Olympics, but I'm not proud of it, either; I'm pleased for the athletes, certainly, but I'm generally neutral about the whole thing.

Most of what our country does leaves me in a neutral setting. Some of it makes me proud; some shames me. There's a whole range of emotions.

You're certainly welcome to post the Washington quote--it is your blog. You posted it, however, in the middle of our discussion, and I had to treat it as part of that discussion.

Finally, would we be electing a First Lady or a President?

Cordially yours,

Doc Washboard

boBByd said...

We are electing a President who is married to a first lady who in 2008 has more attention on her, not only in our country but around the world like never before. She does represent the White House as well as our great country...and i would want her to be proud of the US at times other than when her husband is doing well politically.

And i'm not sure what your standards you have for electing a president...i'm assuming you are a liberal so i would say they are pretty low; but when i vote i look at the candidate, his stance on the issues, those who he/she chooses to surround himself/herself with (including a spouse which does speak volumes), and who is chosen as a running mate. All of this very important to me, but then again...i have higher standards than most liberals.